Communications Law & Policy
Welcome to Communication Law and Policy
[CJ 395/Course/C2; COM 360]
Primary Class Outline and Syllabus on Course Moodle Page
Online Virtual Classroom via Zoom @ 1:00 - 1:50 pm Mon/Wed/Fri
Instructor: Shawn T. Newman, J.D.
Course Description: Social and legal questions over communication resources, rights and responsibilities. Examination of law and policy with respect to social communication practices, such as the First Amendment, media ownership and intellectual property rights.
Course Requirements & Resources:
- Required Book: Susan Ross, Amy Reynolds and Robert Trager The Law of Journalism and Mass Communications, 7th Ed. Sage © 2020 ISBN 9781544377582
- Open Education Resources referenced in the weekly modules.
- Optional: Newman Media - You Tube Channel; TVW and Supreme Court appearances
Course Objectives - See weekly objectives below
5 Essay Exams @ 100/each (Grading Rubric below)
500 Debates/Presentations (Grading Rubric below)
100 Active attendance and participation
100 Total Points:
Teaching Philosophy: My job is to help you develop legal knowledge and skills that will make you successful in YOUR career. This class focuses on Constitutional literacy. It is your responsibility to be prepared for class and to complete all assignments on time. I have listed reading assignments, exams and presentations/debates for each week below. Please note that I reserve the option to modify the schedule and frequently add content to the syllabus based on current events. Classes are conducted based on the assumption that students have PRE-READ the material for that day's class; all material is subject to class discussion.
Office Hours: I am available before/after class, by appointment at my office which is located in OM Room 413 or via email at email@example.com. I try to respond to emails within 24 hours. Note these etiquette tips for emailing your professor and submitting materials.
Academic Policy: SMU Academic Policies and Procedures regarding academic dishonesty can be found in the undergraduate student catalog. I do not give mulligans (re-dos/extra credit) or incomplete(s). Absences, regardless of reason, are recorded as absences.
- CENTER FOR STUDENT SUCCESS: The Center for Student Success offers free academic services for all Saint Martin’s students at all levels of achievement in pursuit of intellectual growth and academic excellence. The Learning Center is home to the STEM Study Center which provides subject area peer tutoring (science, technology, engineering, and math as well as business/ accounting/economics, and world languages). At the Writing Center, students meet with trained peer readers to discuss their academic, personal and professional writing. The Advising Center works with students with academic advising, connecting with campus support resources, transition and self-exploration guidance, personalized academic improvement plans, learning workshops, and support major change. The Advising Center staff also works closely with the University’s Early Alert Program — a referral system that supports student success. Saint Martin’s Disability Support Services is located in the Center for any student with a disability who is interested in using their accommodations. These students can connect with the Disability Support Services Coordinator who will evaluate the documentation, determine appropriate accommodations, and serve as a learning resource and advocate with assisting students in meeting their academic goals. https://www.stmartin.edu/academics/academic-resources/center-student-success
- Information on student support offices, including academic support, counseling, health, diversity and disability support services can be found in the undergraduate student catalog. Students are responsible for working with disability services to provide me notice of any necessary accommodations.
- For technology help, contact Integrated Technology Services at O'Grady Main Level or call the Help Desk [360-688-2222].
- Are you career ready? Contact SMU's Career Center for help on resumes, CVs, cards, etc.